Wednesday, November 25, 2015

There are a lot of red houses

I have showed several pictures of red, older houses in the area where I have been for a while now. It is a rural area and these kinds of houses are very common in Sweden. It looks charming I think with the red houses with white trim and it seems to symbolize something very Swedish.

The red color is a special kind of paint called "Falu red" which historically originated from different copper mines. The most well known of these is Falu koppargruva = Falu copper mine. If you click on the links you get some more background for the paint as well as the mine.

Here are some more buildings with red paint and there are a lot of red houses! :)

This is the area where my friend has her apartment.


Also the bus station has a small, red building where you can wait inside if the weather is bad.


A view of the area where I am right now.



An older house that looks like a storage, i.e. no one is living there right now.


Also the church is painted red!


The school is one of the oldest in Sweden that is still in use. It started already in 1793 so it definitely has a long history.


And the small house where you take your garbage is also painted red. :) In Sweden most people are very diligent sorting the garbage in different "bins" for different materials. As this is a small area this sorting is not as extensive as in other areas and in this building you can only separate a couple of different waste materials.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is typical to see barns painted red (sometimes trimmed in white) in rural America. It would seem odd to me to see a barn painted any other color. I wonder if this is a tradition started by Swedish farmers? MT

Anne-Marie said...

MT: I think this might be Mike? ;) Yes, I am sure that a lot of barns are painted red. I think I have seen quite a few barns in the US painted grey also. Maybe all the Swedes who emigrated brought this trend with them.