Sunday, October 11, 2015

To take a leap of faith

In my first post I shared some things about my next step which seems to be a leap of faith. I have taken a couple of leaps in my life but this one feels a bit different for some reason. Cannot really put words on the feeling, just that it is different.

To take a leap of faith is to trust your inner feelings, heart and gut to dare to do something without knowing exactly how it will turn out. It is scary to some extent and you have to listen inside to know what your next step will be.

When I was in my 20s I started following my intuition more and it is very different compared to just following your brain. It takes some practice to learn to distinguish between your intuition and your brain but once you get the hang of it, you can pretty easily tell the difference. And in my opinion, following your intuition is much more "rewarding" than just following your brain.

I remember very well when I connected with my now late husband and the leap of faith I took when I came to the US. My father and I had a book publishing company where we translated books from English to Swedish and then also published them. We did this in our spare time for about 20 years and it was interesting, fun, and a great learning experience.
We had read one of Michael's books and both liked it a lot. The book is a spiritual novel that takes place in Mt Shasta and after reading it I started getting a feeling that I "had to" visit the area.

I came for a visit in April of 1997 and it became clear pretty quickly that Michael and I were more than business partners. As I definitely was folloing my heart and gut it was fairly easy to decide to take that leap of faith to actually move to the US. It was probably good that I, at that point, did not know how extremely difficult it is to legally immigrate to the US.

If I had not come to the US I am sure that I would not have had the chance to change and develop as a person the same way as I have done in the US. To leave the country where you are born and have lived for a long time is a challenge in many ways and I have gone through many stages of this during the 18 years I have lived in the US. Being in Sweden for a longer time now and experiencing the Swedish culture is a bit of a "culture shock" as well, as I have lived in the US for so long.

Leaps of faith can be scary but they can also be great opportunities to grow and change. Right now I am trying to "land" a bit more in Sweden which I hope to do soon when I can make some trips to other parts of this country. So far I have mostly been doing "busy work" such as applying for a passport and opening a new bank account - both turned out to be a bit challenging due to new regulations that the US has imposed on the rest of the world.

Today I did something more fun than what I have done for the past 1,5 week - I visited one of my few cousins. I only have 4 cousins and they are my closest family now as both my parents have passed away and I do not have any brothers and sisters. My cousin A and I had a nice afternoon and her sister (another cousin) came for lunch as well which was really nice. A lives very near one of Stockholm's biggest attractions - Stockholm Globe Arena (now also called Ericsson Globe). It is currently the largest hemispherical building in the world.
A definitely lives close to this arena. :) I have been there twice to watch a hockey game and a Lucia concert many years ago.

No comments: