Friday, October 16, 2015

Passport and bank account

Time is flying and I do not seem to have quite enough time to write as often as I would like to. This will be a bit long, but I wanted to share these experiences as it is not real easy any longer to be a dual citizen and especially an American citizen.

Nowadays I always travel with two passports when I go to Sweden as I am a dual citizen. I use my American passport to leave and enter the US and my Swedish passport when I enter Sweden and the European Union.

Swedish passports are only valid for five years compared to American passports that are valid for 10 years. My Swedish passport was going to expire in May of 2016 so I thought it would be helpful to renew it now. You can renew it even if it has not expired. As it has become much more difficult and expensive to renew a Swedish passport in the US it is nice to do it when you are in Sweden.

The only embassy in all of the US where you can renew a Swedish passport is the Swedish Embassy in Washington D.C. If you live in that area it is of course much easier, but living in the remote northernmost parts of California would be a very expensive and difficult way of renewing it. There are some mobile passports stations that come to a few of the bigger cities where you also can renew your passport but, again, they are nowhere near where I live.

In Sweden you renew your passport at police stations so I went to one where I have renewed my passport earlier. They wanted to look at both of my passports and my Naturalization Certificate which I got when I became a US citizen. I paid the fee and photos and fingerprints were done and I thought that was it. Nope, that wasn't the case. The next day I got an email from the passport police (they evaluate Swedes who live abroad) and it turned out that the police who helped me had forgotten to give me a form that I also had to fill out. After numerous phone calls I found out that I could come back and pick up the form the same day and have them scan it.

The form, however, surprised me as it was supposed to "test my Swedish citizenship." I did not remember having to fill out anything similar previously and the form had questions that asked for very detailed answers, such as my parents' exact birth places and date of marriage. Luckily I had other documents with me that helped me so I could fill out the form.

When I came back to the police station I asked the woman who helped me why this form was needed and she said that Swedes could lose their citizenships. I must have looked very surprised as I had not heard this earlier. I knew that those who got another citizenship before 2001 lost their Swedish citizenship but after 2001 Sweden has approved dual citizenship.
I asked the woman again if I really could lose my citizenship and she said "yes" and had a very odd smile. Not okay in my opinion to scare people like that without giving more information so at some point I will go higher up with this.
At least I got my passport the next day and it is now good through October of 2020.

Something else that I wanted to do was to try and open another bank account besides the two I have in one bank.

When the US basically forced the rest of the world to adopt the FATCA-regulations it became much harder to be an American abroad and to have foreign financial accounts. Sweden adopted FATCA into Swedish law in February of 2015. Some countries, like Mexico, have even closed bank accounts for Americans. FATCA came about when it was discovered that some rich Americans tried to hide money in Switzerland (which is a tax haven, Sweden not so much). Unfortunately the FATCA- regulations are now hitting regular people who have become "entangled" in this very complex US regulation. All kinds of foreign financial accounts are supposed to be reported to the IRS in the US and if you do not report what you have in different accounts when you do your US tax return you can be penalized with very hefty fines.

I was prepared that I could be hassled by the Swedish bank people and that's exactly what happened. Swedish banks and other financial institutions are having to handle quite a bit of reporting now and I know that they do not really like doing this. The first bank I had contacted basically said that they did not want me as a customer despite a fairly large amount of money that I was going to transfer from my other bank. Another bank was also very hesitant. As I knew that they could not deny me to open a regular saving's account I contacted an organization called Svenska Bankforeningen/Swedish Bankers' Association and the woman I spoke with said that I was correct and she encouraged me to contact people higher up within the bank. I did and after speaking with a very nice assistant to the regional manager for one of the banks, I had an appointment set up for the next day. The account was opened and the money transferred.
You have to be knowledgeable to do these kinds of things and obviously kind of pushy and talk to people higher up. At least I accomplished what I had set out to do. :)

So far the weather has been quite nice here in the Stockholm area with lots of sunshine and mild temperatures. Not as warm as Weed with highs in the 80s but low 50s is really okay for October. My friend (who I am staying with) and I took a nice walk the other day and visited a nature preserve area close to where she lives. We sat by the water and enjoyed the sunshine, watched sheep and boats, and chatted.




2 comments:

Catherine Preus said...

Beautiful photos Anne-Marie.
The greenery looks a little like Minnesota where I come from - but the light is different. I hope you are feeling nurtured by the sea and the lush natural beauty of your country. I so appreciate your keeping in touch via your blog!
Catherine

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Catherine,
Nice to see you here - welcome! :) And nice that one of the Americans commented. ;)
It is fall for sure so maybe that's why the light looks different. I think Minnesota and Sweden probably resemble each other. And a lot of Swedes came there when they emigrated to the US.
Sweden's nature if wonderful. Have not been able to be in the forest due to all the practical things I've had to do.
Hope you will "check in" again. :)